411 Seniors Centre president, Marion Pollack and board members had a productive meeting with MP Darren Fisher, Parliamentary Secretary to the Federal Minister of Seniors on Thursday, August 25th.
Among the issues discussed were:
- the need for core funding for community based non profit seniors serving organizations
- financial situation of 411
- new facility – progress of construction and challenges
- the role of seniors centre like ours in addressing the social determinants of health and in keeping seniors healthy, informed and connected
- the limitations of funding in this day and age
- problems with service Canada (GIS issues)
- the digital divide
- seniors in poverty
Following the visit, 411 Seniors was invited to submit a brief on Service Canada.
Read the 411 Seniors Centre Service Canada brief HERE.