Here is a quick recipe for Bacon Bits. I know some of you will be wanting real bacon, but for those who want an alternative, here is a veggie version and one that is much cheaper and made without a lot of preservatives.
- ▢1 cup soy granule
- ▢3/4 cup water
- ▢2 teaspoons soy sauce
- ▢1 teaspoon paprika powder mild
- ▢1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ▢1/2 teaspoon salt
- ▢1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- ▢1 tablespoon plant-based oil
- Add all the ingredients (except the oil) into a large pan, and stir to combine. Bring it to high heat.
- Once the soy granule has soaked up the water, add one tablespoon of oil. Let it cook further, and stir every once in a while to prevent it from getting too dark.
- It will take about 10 to 15 minutes for the soy granule to get brown and crispy. You might have to add a bit more oil to achieve that. Then you can use the vegan bacon bits as taco ‘meat’, in salads, on pasta, or whatever you’re craving!
Storage: Let the vegan bacon bits cool off, then you can put them in an air-tight container and keep them in the fridge for up to 3 days, or freeze them for much longer. You can always pop them back in the pan to get them crispy again.